Voorhees and Everhart Architectural Drawings of the High Point Friends Meeting House now available in Special Collections

Share

The Special Collections Research Center at NCSU Libraries now has available for researcher access a new collection of architectural drawings of an important Georgian Revival-style building designed by Voorhees and Everhart: the High Point Friends Meeting House (1952-1963) located in High Point, North Carolina. 

Louis Francis Voorhees (1892-1974) was a prominent architect practicing in High Point, North Carolina, during the middle of the twentieth century. In 1938, he formed a partnership with Eccles D. Everhart, another established High Point architect. Many of Voorhees's architectural commissions were in High Point, a city that was experiencing rapid growth because of the expansion of textile manufacturing. The High Point Friends Meeting House was constructed beginning in 1955 from a design by a member of the congregation, Howard Olive, who was also employed with the firm Voorhees and Everhart.

For more information about the architectural history of this building, please see: Benjamin Briggs, The Architecture of High Point, North Carolina: A History and Guide to the City's Houses, Churches and Public Buildings (2008).

To inquire about accessing this collection, please contact the Special Collections Research Center

Detail of South Elevation, Meeting Room, High Point Friends Meeting House, designed by Voorhees and Everhart