Honors and Awards
NC State's Competitive Edge
The NCSU Libraries' vision is to be the competitive advantage for North Carolina State University and for the culture and economy of our state. The Libraries has been recognized for achieving that vision with numerous national and international awards. This is the "library of the future," known for its innovative use of technology, its ability to create inspiring learning and research spaces, the strengths of its collections, and its role in developing the next generations of librarians, scholars, and innovators.
The James B. Hunt Jr. Library, opened in early 2013, has been featured in hundreds of media pieces — including influential publications such as Time, Scientific American, Forbes.com, Library Journal, The Chronicle of Higher Education, The Boston Globe, The San Francisco Chronicle, The Business Insider, The Wall Street Journal, The Paris Review, Slate.com, Complex magazine's Art&Design website, and Architect magazine — as a touchstone for new directions in academic libraries.
Key Awards Include:
- 2016 "National Medal for Museum and Library Service," the NCSU Libraries.
- 2014 "John Cotton Dana Library Public Relations Award," the Hunt Library.
- 2014 American Institute of Architects (AIA) "Education Facility Design Award," the Hunt Library.
- 2014 American Library Association (ALA) "Library Interior Design Award," the Hunt Library.
- 2014 ALA "Cutting-Edge Library Service Award," My #HuntLibrary.
- 2014 North Carolina Chapter of the American Society of Landscape Architects "Professional Awards Program — State Design Award," the Hunt Library.
- 2014 "Stanford Prize for Innovation in Research Libraries," the Hunt Library.
- 2014 "CASE Circle of Excellence Award" for NC State Social Media, the Hunt Library.
- 2013 InfoComm "People's Choice Award" for outstanding use of video and audio technologies, the Hunt Library.
- 2013 "City of Raleigh Non-Residential Green Design Award" for sustainable design and technology, the Hunt Library.
- 2013 AIA/ALA "Library Buildings Award," the Hunt Library.
- 2013 "CASE Circle of Excellence Award" for best communications practices, the Hunt Library opening.
- 2013 ENRSoutheast "Best Higher Education/Research Project," the Hunt Library.
- 2013 The "Greater Triangle Stewardship Development Award (non-residential green design)," the Hunt Library.
- 2013 The Triangle Business Journal "Top University Development Award," the Hunt Library.
- 2012 Association of College & Research Libraries (ACRL) College Libraries Section "ProQuest Innovation in College Librarianship Award," the Mobile Scavenger Hunt.
- 2012 American Libraries "Library Design Showcase 2012," the D. H. Hill Library west wing renovation.
- 2011 ALA "Cutting-Edge Library Service Award," the Web Design Project Team.
- 2010 ALA "Cutting-Edge Library Service Award," the Course Views [Library Tools] service.
- 2010 Preservation North Carolina "Gertrude S. Carraway Award of Merit," American Association for State and Local History "Award of Merit," Vernacular Architecture Forum "Paul E. Buchanan Award" for the digital publication North Carolina Architects and Builders: A Biographical Dictionary.
- 2010 Society for American Archivists "C. F. W. Coker Award for Description" for a search utility to aid the discovery of unique and primary collections.
- 2008 American Libraries "Library Design Showcase 2008," the Learning Commons at the D. H. Hill Library.
- 2008 ALA "Katharine Kyes Leab and Daniel J. Leab American Book Prices Current Exhibition Catalogue Award," the B. E. Wells online exhibit.
- 2007 ACRL "Top Ten Models of Technology Innovation," the Endeca catalog voted #1.
- 2006 "Endeca Navigator Award," the NCSU Libraries' advanced online catalog.
- 2005 Southeastern Library Association "Outstanding Library Program Award," The Pulitzer Prize Photographs: Capture the Moment exhibition.
- 2004 Gale Group "Award for Excellence in Reference and Adult Library Services," the NCSU Libraries.
- 2003 ALA/Information Today, Inc. "Library of the Future Award, " Libraries Online Basic Orientation (LOBO) team.
- 2001 Raleigh Public Relations Society "Sir Walter Raleigh Award for Excellence in Communication" NCSU Libraries FY99 annual report.
- 2000 ACRL "Excellence in Academic Libraries Award," first university library to win.
- 1999 Library and Information Technology Association "Top Technology Trends," MyLibrary@NCState.
- 1999 American Chemical Society "CAS Signature Library," designation to NCSU Libraries.
- 1990 "John Cotton Dana Library Public Relations Award," NCSU Libraries' Centennial fundraising and publicity.
Staff Honors Include:
- Nine Library Journal "Movers and Shakers" awards for visionaries who "are shaping the future of libraries."
- ACRL "Academic/Research Librarian of the Year Award," Susan K. Nutter, 2016.
- EDUCAUSE “Rising Star Award,” Emily Lynema, 2017
- NC State “Gertrude Cox Award for Innovative Excellence in Teaching and Learning with Technology,” Adam Rogers and Lauren Di Monte, 2017
- ALA "Ulrich's Serials Librarianship Award," Maria Collins, 2015.
- AIA Triangle "Isosceles Award," Preservation North Carolina's "Gertrude S. Carraway Award of Merit," and the Southeastern Society of Architectural Historians "Publication Award," Catherine Bishir, 2014.
- Society of North American Archivists "Thornton W. Mitchell Service Award," Linda Sellars, 2013.
- Library Journal's "Library Paraprofessional of the Year," Tina Adams, 2009.
- Society of Architectural Historians "Antoinette Forrester Downing Award," Catherine Bishir, 2009.
- ALA "Coutts Award for Innovation in Electronic Resources Management," Selden Lamoureux, 2009.
- Library Journal's "Librarian of the Year," Vice Provost and Director of Libraries Susan K. Nutter, 2005.
- American Society for Engineering Education "Homer I. Bernhardt Distinguished Service Award," Orion Pozo, 2002.
- ACRL "Hugh C. Atkinson Memorial Award," Susan K. Nutter, 1999.