Dictionaries and Thesauri, including Nomenclature
Finding Journal Articles
Print Indexes and Abstracts
General Gateways, Guides, and Databases
Government Agencies and Information
Research Grants and Projects
Zoology: Print Indexes and Abstracts
Following is a list of print indexes and abstracts to the journal literature. They are especially useful for accessing the older scientific
- Animal Behaviour Abstracts (1974-1981) (continued by Animal Behavior Abstracts)
Veterinary Medical Lib Ref QL750 .B54
- Animal Behavior Abstracts (1982-) (continues Animal Behaviour Abstracts)
Veterinary Medical Lib Ref QL750 .B54 (Not currently received. Vet Med Ref. has 1982-1997.)
- Applied Ecology Abstracts (1977-1979) (continued by Ecology Abstracts)
D. H. Hill Lib QH540 .A66
- Applied Science and Technology Index (1958-1995)
D. H. Hill Lib Ref T10.7 .A88 (older years in Bookstack Tower)
- Biological Abstracts (1926-)
D. H. Hill Ref QH 301 .B37
Older years located on 7th floor in Bookstack Tower.
The most comprehensive index and abstracts of research journal literature in the life sciences. BA indexes over 8,000 journals.
You can search by subject, by genus-species name, by biosystematic classification, or by author.
- Biological Abstracts/RRM (Reports, Reviews, Meetings) (1980-)
D. H. Hill Ref QH 301 .B37t (Not currently received. D. H. Hill has 1980-1999.)
Covers books, reviews, and meetings in the life sciences.
- Ecology Abstracts (1980-) (continues Applied Ecology Abstracts)
D. H. Hill Ref QH540 .A66 (Not currently received. D. H. Hill Ref. has 1993-v.24: no.1 of 1998.1980-1992 on 7th floor in Bookstack Tower)
- Science Citation Index (1945-)
D. H. Hill Ref. Q1 .S325 (Not Currently Received -- Latest: 1998:n 2 (03/1998))
- Zoological Record (1864-)
D. H. Hill Ref. QL1 .Z6628 (D. H. Hill Ref. has v.1 (1864)-v.131 (1995). From v.132 (1996)-present, D. H. Hill Ref. has only Section 13: Insecta.
Note: Vols. 43-51 (1906-1914) were also published as the 6th-14th issues of the International Catalogue of Scientific Literature, section N--Zoology.
- Zoological Record Serial Sources
D. H. Hill Ref. QL1 .Z6629 1996/1998
Some older years located on 7th floor in Bookstack Tower.
Additional Older Literature Sources
- Catalogue of Scientific Papers. Compiled by the Royal Society of London. V. 1 (published in 1867)-v. 19 (published in 1925). Some volumes are reprints.
D. H. Hill Ref. Z7403 .R88
Covers the journal literature of science from 1800-1900.
Vols. 1-6 are the 1st series covering 1800-1863; v. 7-8, 2nd series covering 1864-1873; v. 9-11, 3rd series covering 1874-1883; v.
12, supplementary vol. covering 1800-1883; v. 13-19, 4th series covering 1884-1900. Each series is arranged alphabetically by author.
Continued in part by 17 sections of the International Catalogue of Scientific Literature.
- International Catalogue of Scientific Literature, 1901-1914. Section N--Zoology.
(Published for the International Council by the Royal Society of London. Published London, New York: Johnson Reprint Corp. 1968
reprint of 1902-21 edition published by the Royal Society of London.)
D. H. Hill Ref. folio (Oversized) Z7401 .fI622
An annual index to current scientific literature, beginning with 1901 and ending with 1914. Early issues contain author and subject
indexes. Later issues contain title, subject, and systematic indexes.
Please note that the NCSU Libraries will not have some of the journals indexed by these indexes and abstracts. To see if we have the journal
you need, use the NCSU Libraries catalog to search for the journal title
(not the title of the article).
Librarian Contact Information