Finding General Information
Encyclopedias and Guides
Finding Journal Articles
Older Print Indexes
Finding Books and Journal Titles Using the Online Catalog
Finding Federal Documents
Finding Data and Statistical Information
Indexes to Statistical Data
Statistical Abstracts and Compendia
Polls and Surveys
Machine Readable Data Files
For Additional Information
Sociology Research Guide
Finding Journal Articles
Additional Specialized Indexes
There are also indexes covering specific topics that could also be of interest to sociologists.
- These two databases contain some information on rural sociology.
AGRICOLA (1970 to date) is the primary bibliography produced by the National
Agricultural Library, and CAB (1972 to date) is an intergovernmental
organization (Commonwealth Agricultural Bureaux) dedicated to improving human
Criminal Justice Abstracts, v. 9 - 1977 to date
- Satellite Shelving Facility HV6001 .C76, v. 9 - 28, 1977 - 1996
- D. H. Hill Reference HV6001 .C76, v. 29 - , 1997 to present (Ready Reference - Reserve Room)
- ERIC (Educational Resources Information Clearinghouse) contains references to journal articles, conference proceedings, and research reports issued from 1966 to the present.
Social Work Abstracts
SWAB contains more than 35,000 records, from 1977 to the present, from
social work and other related journals on topics such as homelessness, AIDS,
child and family welfare, aging, substance abuse, legislation, community
organization, and more.
Women Studies Abstracts, v. 2-30, 1973-2001
- D. H. Hill Tower stacks Z7962 .W65 (9th floor)
World Agricultural Economics and Rural Sociology Abstracts, v. 1-37,
- Satellite Shelving Facility H10 .W63
- Electronic coverage of this title, after 1972, is contained in theCAB database.
These two databases are examples of much more broadly focused resources than those above. The first offers many full-text articles, while the second provides a current awareness feature.
Academic Search Premier
- Academic Search Premier provides full text for over 1,530 academic, social
sciences, humanities, general science, education and multi-cultural journals.
In addition to the full text, this database offers indexing and abstracts for
nearly 2,720 journals. Over 1,700 journals are peer reviewed. Full text
backfiles go as far back as January of 1990, while indexing and abstract
backfiles go as far back as January of 1984
Ingenta has broad coverage, but it has another forte. It's a table of contents database, and the provider indexes its content quickly. Look here for current event topics.
Librarian Contact Information