Sociology Research Guide
Finding Data and Statistical Information
The NCSU Libraries collections contain many compilations of data and statistical information. Data and statistics provide evidence and corroboration of assertions and hypotheses.
Indexes to Statistical Data
An electronic source provides an in-depth indexing and abstracting service for statistical publications issued worldwide. This Statistical Universe is made up of three component parts which have their origins in these three printed abstract titles, which NCSU no longer receives:
- Statistical Universe
- composed of:
- American Statistics Index (ASI), 1974-2003
- D. H. Hill Documents Reference HA 203 .A44 (2nd floor,
ASI analyzes publications of Federal government agencies, and indexes the numerical data found in these publications.
- Statistical Reference Index (SRI), 1980-2003
- D. H. Hill Tower stacks Z7554 .U5 S770 (9th
SRI provides detailed indexing and abstracting for data collected and published by universities, commercial publishers, trade associations, and state governments.
- Index to International Statistics, 1983-2004
- D. H. Hill Tower stacks Z7551. I54 (9th
IIS provides access to data collected by international agencies, primarily the United Nations. This is an excellent source for economic, agricultural and social data, and data on government spending.
Statistical Abstracts and Compendia
A statistical abstract summarizes data from a variety of sources to cover many subjects for a state, region, or country. Some statistical compendia present data on a particular theme.
- Statistical Abstract of the United States, 1878 -
- D. H. Hill Reference HA202 .A4 (latest year, 1st floor, East Wing)
- D. H. Hill Documents Stacks C 3.134: (2d floor, south tower)
- Internet resource:Statistical Abstract, 1995 -
- Statistical Abstract of North Carolina Counties
- D. H. Hill Tower stacks HA551 .N682 1991 (4th floor)
- County and City Data Book, 1949 -
- D. H. Hill Documents Stacks C3.134/2:C83/2/year (2d floor, south tower)
- Internet resource: County & City Data Book
- State and Metropolitan Area Data Book, 1980 -
- D. H. Hill Documents Stacks C3.134/5:year (2d floor, south tower)
- Internet resource:1997-98 S & MA Data Book
- The American Marketplace : Demographics and Spending Patterns
- D. H. Hill Reference HA214 .A6 1997 (1st floor, East Wing)