CHE 205 Library Assignment
1. Select a substance from Table B.1 that begins with the same letter as your first name or the nearest possible letter (for example Andy -> Aniline). Find and report the following data for this substance in references other than the course text or CD, and properly cite the references. The information should be neatly organized so that the reader can easily review the information as well as the citations. Complete units should be included where appropriate.
(1) Basic physical properties for the chemical (specific gravity, molecular weight, normal melting and boiling points, Antoine constants, heat of vaporization, heat of fusion, heat capacity). If you find that some physical properties are missing for your chosen chemical, choose another species with complete physical properties.
(2) Examples of how the chemical is used in different industrial applications or in industrially important reactions
(3) Toxicity data
(4) Environmental hazards
(5) At least three companies that manufacture this product
(6) Worldwide demand or sales for this chemical; and
(7) Unit pricing ($/kg, $/gal, etc.) (Note: this should reflect bulk pricing, not pricing of small units from Fisher Scientific, etc.)
2. From the textbook index, select a technical topic that begins with the same letter as your last name or the nearest possible letter (for example Brent -> Bubble point). Find three papers (not web sites) in the recent literature that deal with this topic. Copy and paste their citation information and abstracts. Find these three papers, photocopy or print out their first pages, and attach them to the homework.
Note: Must be done and submitted individually. All references should be cited in APA format.
(1) To find the papers, go to the NCSU Libraries Database Finder and select 1 or 2 databases to search. Some suggested databases to use: EI Compendex,
Web of Science, SciFinder Scholar, or Applied Science and Technology Index.
(2) Check out the grading rubric for this homework
(3) Check out specific library resources available for this assignment