Civil Rights in the United States Research Guide
D. H. Hill Library has back issues of selected newspapers on microfilm.
These are primarily major newpapers from large cities, or local newspapers.
There are two main approaches to finding articles in old newspapers:
Searching with indexes (if available) and Browsing in a
logical time period.
NCSU Libraries Catalog
Search the library catalog for the title of a particular newspaper
to find print or microfilm holdings. To find out what newspapers are
available here from a particular city, do an L.C. Subject Search.
raleigh (n.c.) newspapers
Examples of major newspapers held at D. H. Hill are:
- New York Times
- News and Observer
- Times (London)
- Wall Street Journal
- Washington Post
Newspapers on Microfilm
View D.H. Hill newspaper holdings by title, by date, and by region.
Indexing to historical newspapers
Most older newspapers do not have useful indexing. Usually, it is
necessary to use other sources to identify the place and time of an
event to enable effective browsing of microfilm during for the dates
likely to yield articles of interest. Often, it is useful to use an
index to a major paper such as the New York Times to help in narrowing
down a time period, before browsing for articles in a local paper.
News and Observer Indexes
Indexing for the Raleigh News and Observer is scattered, having been
put together by different agencies at different times.
- News and Observer Index: Part I, November 1926-July 1953 (D. H. Hill Microforms Room - [MFM 496 REELS 1-9] - Microfilm )
- News and Observer Index: Part II, August 1953-December 1974 (D. H. Hill Microforms Room - [MFM 497 REELS 1-8] - Microfilm )
- 1967-1973 (D. H. Hill Reference Stacks Z6953 .N48 - print)
- 1974 (D. H. Hill Microforms Room - Microfiche)
- 1975-1976 (D. H. Hill Reference Stacks Z6953 .N48 - print)
- 1977-1981 (D. H. Hill Microforms Room - Microfiche)
- 1988 (D. H. Hill Microforms Room - Microfiche)
- 1999-present (Use News
and Observer, online version)
New York Times Index (1851-2005)
Provides fully searchable electronic access to the New York Times from 1851-2003. Includes full image of the actual newspaper articles. Illustrations and advertisements are included.
This product contains searchable full text of selected 19th century newspapers, including a collection of African American newspapers.
Librarian Contact Information