See these Style Guides for more detailed information on citing your sources:
The library supports a variety of tools that help you keep track of information sources, and cite them correctly.
Quick Citation Formatting
This tool provides a quick way to help you correctly format citations in MLA, APA, and CBE/CSE formats. Just enter the basic information, and the Citation Builder will create a citation that you can copy and paste into your document.
Larger Citation Management Projects
For larger projects, there are tools that enable you to manage references, import citations from online databases, and incorporate references into Word documents. Both require some time investment to learn to use effectively. For new users we recommend RefWorks because of its flexibility of use and because you do not have buy software.
- recommended for new users
- web-based, and available from any networked computer
- available on and off campus to those affiliated with NC State University, so there is no direct charge to patrons who use RefWorks
- updates to the program happen automatically
- will take more time when using a slower network connection.
- browser-based (requires Firefox)
- latest version has an option to sync between different computers
- free download and install
- updates to the program happen automatically.
- uses stand-alone software
- must be purchased by individuals interested in the software. Updates/new versions must also be purchased.