Wharton Research Data Service (WRDS)
Access Now: Wharton Research Data Service (WRDS)
Librarian: Jennifer Garrett
What it is:
- A standardized platform for accessing and downloading financial and economic datasets from various sources.
What you can expect to find:
- Listing of datasets relevant to research in finance, accounting, economics, management, and banking.
- Data may be available at intervals of annual, quarterly, monthly, and daily, depending on the set.
- Selecting a dataset will offer options to select specific variables that are available in that set.
- Variables are retrieved based on a set of specified company identifiers.
Some useful things you can do:
- Extract data for use in spreadsheets or statistical software like SAS, STATA, SPSS, etc.
- Retrieve data for a specific set of industry codes or company identifiers (ticker, GVKey, CUSIP number, etc.).
- Retrieve data for selective variables on all available companies.
- Users may be asked to created a user account using your NC State email in order to access this database.
- Local subscriptions include the following sets in addition to others:
- COMPUSTAT North America
- CUSIP Master File
- Corporate Library
- Global Insight
- NYSE TAQ
- RiskMetrics (formerly IRRC)
- Thomson Reuters
- Check the landing page for a current listing of available datasets.