Anthropology Research Guide: Finding Articles
This is our primary database for anthropology. It is the most comprehensive international resource for the fields of anthropology, archaeology, and related interdisciplinary research. The resource indexes entries at least two pages long in nearly 900 journals and monographic series held in Harvard University's Tozzer Library. It also includes some articles published from the late 19th century to the present. The database provides bibliographic information only, and does not link to full-text electronic articles.
This web site indexes "current periodicals in The Anthropology Library at the British Museum (incorporating the former Royal Anthropological Institute library)"
These citation indexes provide a unique feature. An article's entry includes lists of 1) the original author's bibliography and 2) articles written more recently that cite this article. The database provides bibliographic information only, and does not link to full-text electronic articles.
Other Databases (not specifically Anthropology)
Older Journal Resources
Some older journals may not be indexed in the databases above. You may want to extend your search to some of the following materials:
- C.R.I.S.: the combined retrospective index set to journals in sociology (1895-1974), available in print in D. H. Hill Library
- Excerpta medica, Section 1: Anatomy, anthropology, embryology and histology (1947-1987), available in print in the Hunt Bookbot
- Abstracts in Anthropology (1970-2004), available in print in D. H. Hill Library and the Hunt Bookbot
- Biennial Review of Anthropology (1959-1971), available ONLINE via JSTOR
- Reviews in Anthropology (1997 to 1 year ago), available ONLINE in D. H. Hill Library
- Reviews in Anthropology (1974-1994), available in print in D. H. Hill Library