UA 130.200 Preliminary Inventory of the North Carolina State University College of Textiles Publications, 1941-2009

These records have not been processed. Initial materials are arranged alphabetically, additions are arranged in the order recieved.
Try experimental container filtering.

Experimental feature. Enter text in the search box to filter/search the container list. Please click here to tell us about your experience with this feature. Feedback

Filter/search the container list:clear No Container Results (Check for highlighting of series/subseries below.)
[Box 4]
[Box 7]
[Box 8]
[Box 8]
[Box 8]
[Box 8]
[Box 8]
[Box 8]
[Box 8]
[Box 8]
[Box 8]
[Box 8]
[Box 8]
[Box 9]

Quantity

4.75 Linear feet

General Physical Description note

9 archvial boxes, 1 archival half box

Location

For current information on the location of these materials, please consult the Special Collections Research Center Reference Staff external link.

Language

English

Acquisitions Information

Transferred from the College of Textiles.

Processing

Processed by: Lauren E. Garbrick completed this inventory on April 10, 2002 and Hermann Trojanowski added to the inventory on October 29, 2002; machine-readable finding aid created by: Steven Mandeville-Gamble

Revised

2013 April, <date calendar="gregorian" normal="2008/2009" era="ce">2008 May; 2009 January</date><item>Finding aid updated to reflect additions to the collection by Cate Putirskis; Finding aid updated to reflect additions to the collection by Cathy Dorin-Black, 2013 April</item>

Scope and Content Note

Collection contains announcements, books, brochures, flyers, newsletters, pamphlets and reports produced by the College of Textiles and its constituent units. Materials range in date from 1941 to 2012.

Historical Note

D. A. Tompkins of Charlotte was one of the most eager advocates for textile education in the South. Tompkins and other community leaders were instrumental in the founding of the textiles department in 1899 at the North Carolina Agricultural and Mechanical College (NC State University). George Franks Ivey taught the first course in textiles in 1899. The next year the college expanded its textiles program; Ivey left and Henry M. Wilson joined the faculty as an instructor in cotton manufacturing. The college offered courses such as carding and spinning, weaving, textile designing, and textile chemistry and dyeing. The courses provided students with specialized expertise to operate mills and use advanced scientific research in the textiles industry.

The original textile equipment was housed in the basement of Holladay Hall. Support for the program grew, and in 1901 the North Carolina General Assembly appropriated $10,000 toward the construction of a textile building. This structure, Tompkins Hall, resembled a textile mill of the period and was completed in early 1902. Thomas Nelson, a young Englishman from the Lowell Textile School in Massachusetts, joined NC State's faculty in 1901 and became department head in 1906 following Wilson's resignation.

On 24 March 1914 Tompkins Hall was almost completely destroyed by fire. With the help of builders and manufacturers, who donated much of the replacement machinery, the textiles program bounced back and by 1919 enrollment reached 154. Meanwhile, the textile industry continued to expand in North Carolina, as mills from the North moved South. The new College of Textiles (School of Textiles) was created out of the School of Engineering at the Board of Trustees meeting on 8 June 1925 and Thomas Nelson was appointed dean of the school.

From 1925 to 1943 students organized style shows to display their fabric designs. Students from local women's colleges participated in the event by creating fashions from fabrics made by NC State students and by modeling for the shows. These popular style shows were held in Pullen Hall. After the show, the audience and contestants visited Tompkins Hall to attend the NC State College Textile Exposition which displayed the latest methods of textile processing from raw material to finished fabrics.

Access to Collection

This collection is open for research; access requires at least 48 hours advance notice.

For more information contact us via mail, phone, fax, or our web form.

Mail

Special Collections Research Center
Box 7111
Raleigh, NC, 27695-7111

Telephone

(919) 515-2273

Fax

(919) 513-1787

Preferred Citation

[Identification of item], North Carolina State University, College of Textiles Publications, UA 130.200, Special Collections Research Center, North Carolina State University Libraries, Raleigh, NC

Access to Collection

The nature of the NCSU Libraries' Special Collections means that copyright or other information about restrictions may be difficult or even impossible to determine despite reasonable efforts. The NCSU Libraries claims only physical ownership of most Special Collections materials.

The materials from our collections are made available for use in research, teaching, and private study, pursuant to U.S. Copyright law. The user must assume full responsibility for any use of the materials, including but not limited to, infringement of copyright and publication rights of reproduced materials. Any materials used for academic research or otherwise should be fully credited with the source.

Access to Collection

This collection may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal or state right to privacy laws and regulations. Researchers are advised that the disclosure of certain information pertaining to identifiable living individuals represented in this collection without the consent of those individuals may have legal ramifications (e.g., a cause of action under common law for invasion of privacy may arise if facts concerning an individual's private life are published that would be deemed highly offensive to a reasonable person) for which North Carolina State University assumes no responsibility.