UA 100.052 Guide to the North Carolina State University College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, Agricultural Chemicals School Records, 1949 - 1979
Portions of this collection have been digitized and made available online.
The entire collection, including materials not available online, may be viewed in the Special Collections reading room in D.H. Hill Library.
Try experimental container filtering.
Contains records on the creation, activities, and function of the Agricultural Chemicals School, along with program brochures, and event and registration information for most years.
[Box 1, Folder 1] 1949 - 1954
[Box 1, Folder 2] 1955 - 1957
[Box 1, Folder 3] 1958
[Box 1, Folder 4] 1959
[Box 1, Folder 5] 1960
[Box 1, Folder 6] 1961
[Box 1, Folder 7] 1962
[Box 1, Folder 8] 1963
[Box 1, Folder 9] 1964
[Box 1, Folder 10] 1965
[Box 1, Folder 11] 1966
[Box 1, Folder 12] 1967
[Box 1, Folder 13] 1968
[Box 1, Folder 14] Pesticide-Fertilizer School, 1970
Online Content, 1970
Agricultural Chemicals School
[Box 1, Folder 15] 1971
[Box 1, Folder 16] 1972
[Box 1, Folder 17] 1973
[Box 1, Folder 18] 1974
[Box 1, Folder 19] 1977
[Box 1, Folder 20] 1978
[Box 1, Folder 21] 1979
North Carolina State University. College of Agriculture and Life Sciences.
0.5 Linear feet
General Physical Description note
1 records storage box
For current information on the location of these materials, please consult the Special Collections Research Center Reference Staff .
Immediate Source of Acquisition note
Items transferred from the North Carolina State University College of Agriculture and Life Sciences. Consult Departmental Accessions file for detailed information.
Transferred from the North Carolina State University College of Agriculture and Life Sciences. Consult University Archivist for additional information.
Processed by: Pat Webber; machine-readable finding aid created by: Pat Webber
The collection consists of records describing the activities and function of the Agricultural Chemicals School from its inception in 1949 to 1979. The collection contains brochures for most of those years, as well as correspondence relating to each year's program. Note that records for the years 1969 and 1975 - 1976 are missing from this collection. These records consist of one series only, General Records, and are arranged chronologically, with the contemporary name of the School indicated as well.
The Agricultural Chemicals School began in 1949 as the Insecticide and Fungicide Short Course, a three-day seminar led by the North Carolina State College Departments of Plant Pathology and Entomology. The name was changed to the Pesticide School the following year, and the course was shortened to two days. The 1950 program billed the School as "planned to bring to the Dealers of [pesticides] the latest information on new materials on the market....This School will furnish many of the ANSWERS which your CUSTOMERS are expecting of YOU." By the late 1950s the School expanded its focus to include material of interest to "county extension agents, vocational instructors, [and] farm supervisors." From 1954 the School was held in the Erdahl-Cloyd Student Union on the campus of North Carolina State University.
In 1969 the program became the Pesticide-Fertilizer School, and the meeting was held in the Sir Walter Hotel in downtown Raleigh. The name changed again in 1971, this time to the Agricultural Chemicals School. Starting in 1977, the meeting moved to the then-new McKimmon Center on the campus of North Carolina State University, where it has been held ever since. The School is currently called the Crop Protection School and is run jointly by the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences and the Office of Professional Development, a unit of Continuing & Professional Education. These records do not denote when the current designation took hold. The focus of the School today remains much the same as when it started, to "present information on the effectiveness, safe application, and proper use of agricultural chemicals for the benefit of dealers, applicators, formulators, manufacturers, county Extension agents, farm superintendents, vocational agriculture teachers, and other agricultural leaders."
Access to Collection
This collection is open for research; access requires at least 24 hours advance notice.
For more information contact us via mail, phone, fax, or our web form.
Special Collections Research Center
[Identification of Item], North Carolina State University College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, Agricultural Chemicals School Records, Special Collections Research Center, North Carolina State University Libraries, Raleigh, North Carolina.
Access to Collection
The nature of the NCSU Libraries' Special Collections means that copyright or other information about restrictions may be difficult or even impossible to determine despite reasonable efforts. The NCSU Libraries claims only physical ownership of most Special Collections materials.
The materials from our collections are made available for use in research, teaching, and private study, pursuant to U.S. Copyright law. The user must assume full responsibility for any use of the materials, including but not limited to, infringement of copyright and publication rights of reproduced materials. Any materials used for academic research or otherwise should be fully credited with the source.
Access to Collection
This collection may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal or state right to privacy laws and regulations. Researchers are advised that the disclosure of certain information pertaining to identifiable living individuals represented in this collection without the consent of those individuals may have legal ramifications (e.g., a cause of action under common law for invasion of privacy may arise if facts concerning an individual's private life are published that would be deemed highly offensive to a reasonable person) for which North Carolina State University assumes no responsibility.