MSS 00079 Guide to the Marshal Shepherd Catalogs, 1897 - 1909

Try experimental container filtering.

Experimental feature. Enter text in the search box to filter/search the container list. Please click here to tell us about your experience with this feature. Feedback

Filter/search the container list:clear No Container Results (Check for highlighting of series/subseries below.)
[Box MSS.2, Folder MSS 79] Catalogue of Bladenboro High School, Bladenboro, N.C., 1897 - 1898
[Box MSS.2, Folder MSS 79] Catalogue of Bladenboro High School, Bladenboro, N.C., 1899 - 1900
[Box MSS.2, Folder MSS 79] Stinceon Institute and Commercial School, 1903 - 1904
[Box MSS.2, Folder MSS 79] Catalogue: Stinceon Institute and Commercial School, Orrum, N.C., 1908 - 1909
[Box MSS.2, Folder MSS 79] Article from The Robesonian Historical Edition: "Orrum Was Built Up Around Church And Boarding School,", 1951 February

Creator

Shepherd, Marshal B., 1865-

Quantity

0.01 Linear feet

General Physical Description note

Location

For current information on the location of these materials, please consult the Special Collections Research Center Reference Staff external link.

Language

English

Acquisitions Information

Received from Marshal Leroyce Shepherd (son), April 1975

Processing

Processed by: Special Collections Staff;machine-readable finding aid created by: Dawne E. Howard

Scope and Content Note

The Marshal Shepherd catalogs consist of copies of catalogs of Bladenboro High School, Bladenboro, North Carolina ( 1897-1900) and Stinceon Institute and Commercial School ( 1903-1904 and 1908-1909), Orrum, North Carolina. The collection also includes biographical information about Shepherd.

Biographical Note

Marshal Shepherd (b. 1865) was an educator and a farmer in Robeson County, North Carolina. He spent several years teaching across Robeson County, including at Bladenboro High School. In 1902, Shepherd opened Stinceon Institute and Commercial School (later known as Orrum School) in Orrum, North Carolina. Stinceon Institute was the first rural high school in lower Robeson County. Students learned English, algebra, Latin, French, music, commerce, and agriculture. In 1907, the institute became a public school.

Shepherd fathered six children with his first wife, Rochelle Frink. One of these children, Marshal Leroyce, received a degree in electrical engineering from North Carolina State College in 1933, and later became an instuctor in N.C. State's Military Department and Assistant Director of Extension. After Rochelle's death in 1918, Shepherd married Eliza Singletary.

Access to Collection

This collection is open for research; access requires at least 24 hours advance notice.

For more information contact us via mail, phone, fax, or our web form.

Mail

Special Collections Research Center
Box 7111
Raleigh, NC, 27695-7111

Telephone

(919) 515-2273

Fax

(919) 513-1787

Preferred Citation

[Identification of item], Marshal Shepherd catalogs, MSS 79, Special Collections Research Center, North Carolina State University Libraries, Raleigh, NC

Access to Collection

The nature of the NCSU Libraries' Special Collections means that copyright or other information about restrictions may be difficult or even impossible to determine despite reasonable efforts. The NCSU Libraries claims only physical ownership of most Special Collections materials.

The materials from our collections are made available for use in research, teaching, and private study, pursuant to U.S. Copyright law. The user must assume full responsibility for any use of the materials, including but not limited to, infringement of copyright and publication rights of reproduced materials. Any materials used for academic research or otherwise should be fully credited with the source.