Large Format Printing
A large format printer is available at the Ask Us centers at the D. H. Hill and Hunt Libraries for large format printing for NCSU faculty, staff, students, and Centennial Campus affiliates.
- The paper used is Instant-dry Gloss Photo paper
- The maximum printable width is 40"
- The cost to print is $10 per linear foot
- Forms of payment: cash, credit, or invoice*
*If you choose departmental invoicing, you must have your bookkeeper's name and phone number, as well as the project FAS. Please note that we are unable to process grant accounts (accounts beginning with a 5).
Large Format Printing Hours
- Monday - Thursday: 9:00 a.m. - 9:00 p.m.
- Friday - Saturday: 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- Sunday: 1:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m.
Please check the hours page for exceptions.
What to expect when you come in
We offer walk-in service. We print while you wait. We do not offer the kind of production service that can accommodate drop-off orders or large quantities.
We will take your USB drive and save your PDF file on our computer while you complete the Large Format Printing charge form. You will be asked to check over your file before we send the job to the printer. After the job has printed successfully we delete your file from our computer.
If you are paying by cash or credit card you will take the completed charge form to the Ask Us center for payment.
Tips for printing
- Size your poster to the correct dimensions.
- If you would like assistance preparing your file for printing, see staff at the Ask Us center or request a technology consultation.
- Proofread your file and view images/graphs at 100% zoom.
- Good proofreading strategies include viewing your document on different types of screens, printing draft copies on regular printer paper, and having a friend take a look. Remember, it is ultimately up to you to ensure the quality of your document's content, and we cannot refund or reprint jobs on account of typos or other avoidable mistakes.
- Consider how you are hanging the poster to decide whether you need space around the edges of your design.
- Save files in PDF format.
- Print Quota cannot be used to pay for plotter printing.
- We do not allow for free reprints for spelling errors or poor image quality.
- If you are printing a poster at the end of the semester, please note that is a high-volume time for our printers. Be aware that there might be a queue and wait times might take up to an hour or two to print your poster. It is best to print your poster at least a day before it is due, in case there are technical difficulties.
- Fabric poster printing is not possible with the Libraries' large format printers.