NC State University  |      campus directory  |  libraries  |  mypack portal  |  campus map  |  search ncsu.edu

Nov 20 2012

Infinite Jest

Book: Infinite Jest

Author: David Foster Wallace

Reviewer: Dan Hawkins, University Library Technician, NCSU Libraries

I remember seeing this book in stores in the late 90′s and being put off by its size and judging by the blurbs, its pretension. Several years later I stumbled across a book of his essays which I found largely delightful. I then proceeded to another book of essays and then short stories and his first novel. By this time I was a raving fan. I still put off reading this one though, primarily due to its size. I finally got around to it this year, and it is well worth the effort it take to read it (its structure (hundreds of end notes, some with their own end notes) does make it feel at times like the world’s longest choose your own adventure novel). It takes the form of an ironic, distant, dystopian satire, but is in reality a raw look at the ravages of addiction and the dangers of mass culture. Wallace is brilliant, but he does not make you feel dumb. A third of the book viciously satirizes a culture that is entertaining itself to death. The second is a coming of age story. The final third is a searing view of the life of drug addicts and their attempts to quit using which doubles as a warning metaphor for the dangers of vicarious life through media. I might recommend taking my approach and starting with some of the other books, perhaps the essays, and then proceed on to this one. But by all means read this book. It does have pretensions, but it delivers. A truly great novel.