Early Days in Nelson Hall: 1945 — 1990
The Burlington Textiles Library was housed on the first floor of the Nelson Hall building from 1945 until 1990. During this period, the library collection was greatly increased with the addition of several thousand titles and the donation of two significant historical collections, the William H. Harriss Collection of Modern Fabrics and Speizman Hosiery Collection. A major expansion of the library facility occurred in 1983 when an opportunity to acquire additional space became available with the relocation of the Computing Center in Nelson Hall to the N.C. Insurance Building on the opposite side of Hillsborough Street. The library expansion provided increased room for bookstacks, computers, and study space for students. The Burlington Industries Foundation once again generously provided funding for the expansion.