Feed aggregator

The Farm at Black Mountain College: A Hunt Library Happening

NCSU Libraries News - Mon, 2014-07-28 08:54

Join David Silver, Visiting Scholar at the NCSU Libraries, for a multimedia happening that chronicles the rise and fall of Black Mountain College, founded in 1933 near Asheville, North Carolina. There will be two performances on Monday, August 4. The morning performance will start at 10:30 a.m. and conclude at noon. The evening performance will start at 7 p.m. and conclude at 8:30 p.m. Both performances will start at the Hunt Library iPearl Immersion Theater.

Education practitioners can still learn from what worked and what didn’t work at Black Mountain College, especially here at NC State where several of the College’s principles are still at work. Focusing on the Black Mountain College farm and work program, Silver will lead an exploration of the College’s lesser-known but vitally important participants. David Silver is associate professor of media studies, environmental studies, and urban agriculture at University of San Francisco.

Using the entire Hunt Library as a storytelling building and featuring never-before-seen photographs, this dynamic event will examine the most experimental college in American history. Silver will employ an unconventional storytelling approach that unfolds as participants walk through the building.

Free and open to the public. Presented by the NCSU Libraries. For more information contact Mike Nutt at mrnutt@ncsu.edu.

North Carolina State University Student Center Records

SCRC News - Mon, 2014-07-21 08:00

NCSU Libraries’ Special Collections Research Center is happy to announce that the University Student Center Records are now processed and available for research. The collection contains files and other items related to the general administrative and departmental transactions of the Student Center, as well as materials from the production and promotion of its events, services, and activities.

One of the most interesting parts of the of the collection is the scrapbooks, made yearly between 1953 to 1964 to commemorate the events and activities related to and occurring at the Student Center, and are filled with newspaper clippings, programs from events, and promotional materials such as posters and flyers. However, as is the case with most scrapbooks their age, the adhesive has wasted away, so many of the items glued or taped to the pages have become loose. During the processing of the scrapbooks, an attempt was made to replicate the original layout of each page so they could be photographed before the loose items were filed separately.

The records range from 1941 to 2008 and reflect the history of the University Student Center, as well as how it functions today. The Student Center is a student organization established to give students and other community members a centralized location on campus which provides essential facilities, programs, and services. It was established with the purpose of enriching students’ lives by teaching them social and recreational skills, and to provide them with the opportunity of extracurricular activity without having to leave campus.

The earliest model of a student center on N C State’s (then, State College’s) campus was the King Religious Center (also called the YMCA Building), which opened in 1913. Taking note of the success of student unions on other college campuses, N C State took the initiative to create their own, starting in 1948. The first official student union was founded in 1951 and later named the Erdahl-Cloyd Student Union. In 1972, the newly built Talley Student Union replaced the Erdahl-Cloyd Union. Today, the College’s student center is actually the University Student Centers, consisting of Talley, the Witherspoon Student Center, the Price Music Center, and Thompson Hall.

In addition to providing students with social and recreational opportunities on campus, the Student Center organization has always offered a number of other services. It is the host of programs for academic and professional development, as well as being renowned as a performance venue since it was established, providing theater and music showings, film screenings, and forum discussions.

The University Student Center Records show how the Center has changed, but it still provides the services for which it was established. For more information about the collection, please consult the collection guide.

Exciting Photo Album Discovery!

SCRC News - Mon, 2014-07-14 11:23

Hand-colored albumen prints by Kusakabe Kimbei, showing Tokyo gardens, ca. 1890

The Special Collection Research Center has made an exciting discovery about a photograph album in its collection.  The album contains approximately 60 hand-colored albumen prints showing landscapes and architectural scenes in Japan during the late nineteenth century.  The dimensions of the photographs are 21.5 x 28 cm (8.5 x 11 in).  The album covers are lacquer with inlaid designs.    Many photos have printed captions and numbers, but there is no indication as to who created them or the album.  We have recently been able to attribute the album to Kusakabe Kimbei.  A further description exists in the library’s online catalog.

Kusakabe Kimbei was a commercial photographer based in Yokohama, Japan, in the late nineteenth century, and he was one of the great native-born Japanese photographers of his time.  He had been an apprentice of Baron Raimund von Stillfried, an Austrian who established a photographic studio in Japan in 1871.  When Stillfried left Japan in 1885, Kusakabe bought his mentor’s stock and initiated his own studio, which existed until 1912.

Stillfried’s firm had purchased the stock of Felice (or Felix) Beato in 1877.  Beato was an Italian-born photographer who established a studio in Japan during the mid-1860s and was one of the first Westerners to bring photography to the East Asian country.  He employed Japanese artists to color his albumen prints, and he became knowledgeable of such Japanese art traditions as ukiyo-e woodblock prints.  Both Stillfried and Beato specialized in studio portraits and genre scenes.  Beato also specialized in landscape photographs.  Westerners fascinated by Eastern cultures formed the major audience for their work.  Kusakabe continued these traditions, perfecting the psychological portrait, and he seems to have catered to the same audience.

Hand-colored albumen prints by Kusakabe Kimbei, showing Choin-in Temple, ca. 1890

Hand-tinting of albumen photographic prints became a minor art form in Japan in the late nineteenth century.  Japanese artists have had long traditions of coloring through fabric stenciling and woodblock printing.  The transfer of these processes to photography resulted in works that have rivaled Western examples in skill and beauty.  Because of the time-consuming process, a master colorist could finish only 2-3 prints per day, so Japanese photography studios drew upon the skills of large staffs.

The NCSU Libraries has held this particular photograph album for several years, probably decades, but its origins had become lost until recently.  While perusing the catalog of a rare book dealer, Special Collections staff found a description for another nineteenth century Japanese album with Kusakabe photographs.  Through online research, the staff was able to match two photos in the NCSU Libraries’ album with those in known Kusakabe collections, including one at the Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery Archives in Washington, D.C.  Research in print publications, including Japan Photographs, 1854-1905 (1979) by Clark Worswick and The History of Japanese Photography (2003) by and Anne Tucker, et al., also confirmed Kusakabe as the creator of some of these photos.  Therefore, it is assumed that the entire NCSU Libraries’ album can be attributed to Kusakabe.  One interesting aspect of the NCSU Libraries’ album is that it does not include any of the psychological portraits for which Kusakabe is now known.  Rather, it only contains landscape and architectural scenes.

Front cover of photo album by Kusakabe Kimbei, ca. 1890

Back cover of photograph album by Kusakabe Kimbei, ca. 1890

A bookplate on the inside cover of the album indicates it was donated by William T. Huxter.    A William T. “Bill” Huxter was at NC State from the 1960s to the 1990s as a professor and extension specialist, first in Wood Products Extension and later in Extension Forestry.

If anyone knows more about the donation of this album, please contact the Special Collections Research Center.  Interested researchers wanting to schedule a time to access the photo album may contact the Special Collections Research Center through the online form.

Have you “Kugged” your Kaypro today?

SCRC News - Mon, 2014-07-07 13:33

The Special Collections Research Center includes the History of Computing and Simulation as one of its key collecting areas. We recently received a small collection, the Lawrence Auld Collection of Kaypro Computer Materials, 1978-1992, that documents the Kaypro home computer. Kaypro began as “Non-Linear Systems,” a maker of electronic test equipment, and was founded by Andrew Kay in 1952. In 1982, Non-Linear Systems organized a company called the Kaypro Corporation and named its first product the Kaypro II. During the 1980s, Kaypros were in competition with IBM PCs and Apple II computers. Fun trivia fact: Arthur C. Clarke used the Kaypro II (64 Kb of RAM!) to write his 1982 novel 2010: Odyssey Two.

The bumper sticker shown above, “Have you kugged your Kaypro today?,” is a play on the “Kaypro Users Group” (KUG). This collection includes various materials that document the use of Kaypros and the discussions about them which were raised by the user community. Included are issues of ProFiles: The Magazine for Kaypro Users, and another popular magazine that catered to Kaypro users, Micro Cornucopia. Perhaps most interesting are Kaypro newsletters and bulletins from the 1980s as well as various user’s guides and user discussions. Although the collection has not yet received full archival processing, a preliminary inventory is available. The collection is open to researchers here at the Special Collections Research Center.

New Materials July 7

VetMed News - Mon, 2014-07-07 10:16

Congratulations to Betsy Whitman on Libraries’ Pride of the Wolfpack Award

VetMed News - Tue, 2014-07-01 17:01

The Veterinary Medicine Library Team is proud to announce that Betsy Whitman was one of the Libraries’ recipients of the Pride of the Wolfpack award at the Libraries’ Annual Service and Awards Program on June 19, 2014.

Please join us in congratulating Betsy for her efforts on behalf of the Wolfpack!!

Betsy Whitman, Pride of the Wolfpack Winner, with Kris Alpi. Photo by Carol Vreelend.

Wall Street Journal: Hunt Library helps inspire New York Public Library renovation

Citing the need for inspiring “collaborative spaces, stocked with tools for creative projects,” the New York Public Library looks to the Hunt Library for the planned renovation of its landmark Fifth Avenue building.

June 2014 Publications from CVM Authors

VetMed News - Tue, 2014-07-01 09:47

June 2014 Publications from CVM Authors

Take a look at the CVM author publications for June 2014 courtesy of the NCSU Scholarly Publications Repository.

CVM and other NCSU authors are specifically highlighted with their department affiliation and links to their other publications in the repository. To access the full text of any of these articles, click on “Find Text (NCSU Only)” link.

If you have questions or would like information about the repository or NCSU publications, please email libraryvetmed@ncsu.edu or call us at 919-513-6218.

Testing Code, Discovering Collections

SCRC News - Mon, 2014-06-30 16:31

Years ago, we decided, rather than using an out-of-the box solution, to roll our own for the Rare and Unique Digital Collections site. Doing this gives us greater control in creating the user experience; a greater ability to respond to bugs and feature requests, i.e., let’s add “related images” on the resource page; and a way to architect the application so that it fit the Libraries’ approach to managing digital collections. What it also means, though, is that we’re in charge of maintaining the application.

We’re currently using Blacklight and Solr for search and faceted browse, and the djatoka JPEG2000 image server delivers our images.

Recently, we went through two significant upgrades with the site. Project Blacklight released Version 5.4.0 in May 2014, and we migrated to this version in anticipation of some very significant new features to the site we’ll be working on over the summer. The latest release of Blacklight itself includes an upgraded version of Bootstrap, which helps to make websites responsive, i.e., sized appropriately for the screen size one is viewing the site on. In performing this upgrade, we also migrated the site to Rails 4.1 (a web framework), which was released in April 2014.

When performing upgrades, we release code to a staging site, where we can review the code’s effects. This is no small affair. We review the site in several web browsers (Chrome, Firefox, Safari, IE), as several viewing sizes (extra large desktop down to phone size), and on several different devices (Mac, Windows, and Linux operating systems; all of the iOS devices (iPhone, iPad, iPod); and several Android devices). And, since we’ve made the site available under HTTP Secure, we have to the view the site on http and https. When viewing the site on all of these devices and browsers, we test to make sure that: the site looks right, the facets work, all the buttons are placed properly and function correctly, the site navigation is functioning, the six different resource views (text, images, folders, video, etc.) are functioning properly, the image pan and zoom is working, the map and “now” features work, and audio and video play properly. These are the biggies; there are probably another dozen or so features we double-check for proper functionality.

But, it’s not all work. Well, it really is, but…we do end up stumbling upon interesting resources that are new to us or new again that make it feel less like work.

While it is possible to visit the site without coming across, by far our most viewed resource, it just doesn’t feel like a visit without doing so. Since beginning to track web statistics on our site with Google Analytics in October 2012, this image has been viewed over 23,000 times.

Here’s one I’d never seen before. It’s a busload of basketball players and fans in the Philippines, one of whom is playing a nose flute.

Like any major university, NC State has hosted presidents and figures of state. In this latest round of testing, I re-discovered a photograph of Bill Clinton receiving students, but the real focus of this one is Hilary. An all-time favorite.

I’ve seen this one in results set a million times, but for some reason I never paid it much mind. On further examination–I looked at this particular resource in order to check that pagination was working–it’s a really fascinating speech, as well as topic.

And that’s just the tip of the iceberg. I think this brief list of discoveries, in itself, is a great testament to the nature of our collections and the fact that the site supports serendipitous discovery.

These resources–and much, much more–are all available as part of the NCSU Libraries’ Rare and Unique Digital Collections, which provides access to thousands of images, video, and audio recordings, and text documenting NC State history.

Faculty – It’s Time for Fall Reserve Requests

VetMed News - Mon, 2014-06-30 10:39

Reserve lists for DVM courses will be taken from each faculty’s online course syllabus published as of Friday, August 1. Required (and optional) texts and library reserve titles will be entered in Reserves Direct, the Libraries’ online reserve management system.

If you need to put materials on reserve for other courses, please give us a reserve list (or email it as an attachment to libraryvetmed@ncsu.edu) by 10 AM on Friday, August 1.  In addition to your name and course name/number, provide complete citations (title, author, edition) for titles desired.

All personal materials (both books and media) listed on the syllabus or reserve lists should also be brought to the Library by 10 AM on Friday, August 1.

For information on VML reserves services and the online reserve management system, go to http://www.lib.ncsu.edu/vetmed/services/reserves. If you need assistance or have questions, please contact Betsy Whitman at eewhitma@ncsu.edu or phone 919-513-6218.

Vet Med Library closed Friday, July 4

VetMed News - Mon, 2014-06-30 10:34

The Veterinary Medicine Library will be closed on Friday, July 4th for the holiday and will resume regular hours on Saturday, July 5 from 1:00pm – 5:00pm.
Enjoy your 4th of July Holiday!!

The D. H. Hill Library and James B. Hunt Library will be open on July 4 from 7:00am – 6:00pm.

See  http://www.lib.ncsu.edu/hours for all NCSU Libraries Hours.

Gateway Veterinary Camp highlighted in Rocky Mount Telegram

VetMed News - Tue, 2014-06-24 16:58

The 35 campers participating in the 2014 Gateway Veterinary Camp visited the Veterinary Medicine Library of the NCSU Libraries as part of their tour of the College of Veterinary Medicine last week. Read more about Vet Camp in the Rocky Mount Telegram at
https://www.rockymounttelegram.com/news/youth-camp-promotes-veterinary-careers-2512969. The Veterinary Medicine Library welcomes all students interested in animal health. For more on visiting us and using resources onsite in the Library, see http://www.lib.ncsu.edu/vetmed/about/location.

Graphic Communications Records Added to University Archives

SCRC News - Tue, 2014-06-24 09:21

Among the recent additions to the University Archives are 15 linear feet of materials from NC State’s Department of Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics Education. Contained in these records are photographs, videotapes, correspondence, brochures, and flyers dating from the 1950s to 2008. Details about these materials can be found in an online collection guide.

Early Distance Education, Ca. 1980. Recent additions to the University Archives include videotapes for Engineering Graphics E101, an early distance education course similar to the one depicted in this image.

Most of these materials originated with the Graphics Communications program. Included are photographs of departmental personnel and activities, as well as videotapes and programs of the Graphics Communications Distinguished Lectures and Banquets (1980s and 1990s). Of note are videotapes of Engineering Graphics E101 mini-lectures (one of NC State’s earliest distance education courses) and a rendering of one of the first 3-D models ever printed.

Also with these materials is Visual Aids for Teachers, a set of 7 filmstrips and 11 phonograph records. Dating from approximately 1950, this set was intended for use by K-12 teachers in classroom instruction. It was created by the Jam Handy Organization, which produced audio-visual materials used in training and education. Visual Aids for Teachers had been acquired by an early College of Education program

The Graphics Communications program originated within NC State’s College of Education in the 1970s. By 1979 the Dept. of Occupational Education had an engineering graphics program, and this was renamed Graphics Communications in 1980. In 1995 Graphic Communications merged with the Dept. of Math and Science Education. The new department was called Mathematics, Science, and Technology Education (today it is the Dept. of Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics Education).

There is an online guide for the Dept. of Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics Education records held by the University Archives. The Jam Handy filmstrips and records have been moved to the University Archives Audiovisual Collection.

NCSU Libraries Acquires William Roy Wallace Architectural Papers

SCRC News - Tue, 2014-06-17 13:54

Media Contact:

David Hiscoe, 919-513-3425

June 17, 2014


The North Carolina State University Libraries has acquired the William Roy Wallace Architectural Papers, an important collection of architectural drawings and project files that document the work of a major North Carolina architect and his associates.

During much of the 20th century, Wallace (1889-1983) was the architect of choice for many Winston-Salem business leaders and their families as well as for business leaders in Burlington, Greensboro, High Point, and elsewhere. Known for his fine residential architecture, he also designed numerous religious, educational, and commercial buildings from the 1920s onward.

Dr. Margaret Supplee Smith, art historian and professor emerita at Wake Forest University, was instrumental in identifying the importance of the collection and facilitating the generous donation by the Wallace family. Smith notes, “With this significant acquisition, which includes architectural records documenting three generations of architects working in North Carolina–Charles Barton Keen, William Roy Wallace Sr., and William Roy Wallace Jr., in addition to Harold Macklin—NCSU Libraries’ Special Collections Research Center has ensured that the story of twentieth-century architectural practice in the Piedmont, with its rich textile, tobacco, and historic preservation legacies, will have a permanent place in the state’s architectural history.”

Wallace, a native of Pennsylvania, began his career in association with Philadelphia architect Charles Barton Keen (1868-1931), a designer of country houses for the Philadelphia elite. Keen created a second major body of work among the leading industrial families in the North Carolina Piedmont, including the famed Reynolda House (1912-1918) for the Reynolds family in Winston-Salem. Wallace worked with Keen as an office boy, a draftsman, and eventually as partner. In 1923 Keen and Wallace moved to Winston-Salem to manage the construction of the R. J. Reynolds High School and Auditorium. After Keen returned to Philadelphia, Wallace oversaw the Winston-Salem office and traveled back and forth from Philadelphia to supervise the firm’s many projects. Throughout the 1920s, the two architects worked on many of the great homes in Reynolda Park and Stratford Road, including the C. A. Kent House, the Robert Hanes House, and the P. Huber Hanes, Sr., House.

In 1928 Wallace settled permanently in Winston-Salem, where he established a practice with Harold Macklin and James M. Conrad. Like Keen, Wallace and his son William Roy Wallace, Jr., who joined the practice after World War II, continued in a Beaux Arts revivalist tradition that shaped the distinguished architectural heritage of Winston-Salem and other communities.

Among the buildings attributed to the Wallace firm are the Fries Memorial Moravian Church, Highland Presbyterian Church Sunday School, the Twin City Club, many of the Davidson County schools from the mid-1930s to 1950s, and much of the early restoration work at Old Salem. In addition to designing the country estate (Brookberry Farm) of Bowman Grey, Jr., many Wallace houses are extant in Winston-Salem, including the Siewers-Shaffner House, John Stephens House, James Weeks House, and Meade Willis House.

The Special Collections Research Center (SCRC) at the NCSU Libraries continues to assemble and archive the work of leading architects to make these unique materials available to a wide audience. The SCRC has collected the papers of key architects, including G. Milton Small Jr., George Matsumoto, and William Waldo Dodge, as well as those of past and present faculty members of NC State’s College of Design such as Henry Kamphoefner, Marvin Malecha, Matthew Nowicki, and Frank Harmon.

The NCSU Libraries Special Collections Research Center holds research and primary resource materials in areas that reflect and support the teaching and research needs of the students, faculty, and researchers at the university. By emphasizing established and emerging areas of excellence at NC State University and corresponding strengths within the Libraries’ overall collection, the SCRC develops collections strategically with the aim of becoming an indispensable source of information for generations of scholars.

Veterinary Student Artwork from Spring 2014 on Display

VetMed News - Tue, 2014-06-17 13:07

Visit the William Rand Kenan, Jr. Library of Veterinary Medicine to see the new artwork installed June 13, 2014. The Library entrance portholes feature reproductions of veterinary student artwork from the Spring 2014 Veterinary Illustration Selective VMC 991-29 taught by Dr. Michael K. Stoskopf, Professor of Aquatics, Wildlife, and Zoologic Medicine and of Molecular and Environmental Toxicology.

This was a one-week studio course taught at the CVM in April 2014 offering veterinary students the opportunity to hone their observation as well as their drawing and illustration skills with live observations at the Teaching Animal Unit and the NC Zoological Park. Students became familiar with basic drawing and pen and ink techniques with an emphasis on rendering from three dimensional objects, living animals, and photographs.

Seven works highlighting a variety of drawing techniques were selected by a jury of faculty and librarian judges.

Top Row (Left to Right) [click below for detailed images]

Bottom Row (Left to Right)

These works and photos of additional drawings by all ten students in the course will soon appear on the eboard in the Library. Thank you to artists Sara Bumgardner (Class of 2015) and Class of 2017: Kimberly Craney, Jennifer Fowler, Amanda Gross, Alisha Lucas, Morgan Matthews, Adeline Noger, Caitlin Smith, and Vanessa Wolf. The drawings were photographed and prepared for porthole display by Wendy Savage, Educational Media & Design, College of Veterinary Medicine.